ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

ROBBERS • HOME INVASION - How to ATTRACT a Robber • Bandito • Home Invasion

So what inspired me to write this article was what I witnessed on New Years Day in Costa Rica!!  THAT story is about half way down under "SERIOUSLY peeps"!!

  
Crime is ever increasing in Costa Rica - don't be fooled by the "statistics" "they" give you because I can tell you that BY FAR the MAJORITY of ExPats living in Costa Rica that have shared their experiences with me of problems with a bandit/robber - most do NOT notify the authorities - feeling "Why bother?"  

"WHY the heck have the NOT reported crimes against them?" you ask?  In part BIG TIME because an even bigger amount of people that HAVE reported crimes experienced:
#1  -  VERY FEW of the banditos were even caught - let alone stay in jail very long - IF at all. 
 

#2  -  It was such a hassle HAVING to go to the OIJ (the Organismo de Investigación Judicial  [pronounced “O-E-ho-tah”] - Poder-judicial.go.cr/oijFacebook.com/pages/Organismo-de-Investigaci%C3%B3n-Judicial/162025663834408 ) which is Costa Rica’s version of the FBI and where you need to go to report most crimes - BUT they are NOT in all cities!!!  NOTE if you must go to one, at least in their San Jose office, they always seem to have SOMEONE that has some level of English skills!  Even if you speak a fair amount of Español, don't even try - I find many people felt they got better service with the English-speaking person

#3  -  The visit at the OIJ can take a LOT of time so be prepared.

#4  -  If you're a tourist and you file some sort of complaint - chances are good they'll expect YOU to be there for the court date which means an expensive trip back to Costa Rica months + later. 


#5  -  Many feared worse retaliation from the bandito as it is NOT unusual for them to come back - especially after they've seen what you have (EVEN with Home Invasions).


So you can understand why many say "Why bother!" eh?? 

The challenge with that is the statistics get screwed up and if "they" feel crime isn't such a big deal - not as much $$/support goes towards security.

ExPats - IF you are a "victim" of a crime - PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR Embassy!!  ESPECIALLY if there seem to be some anti-ExPat or specific nationality energy going on.




@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


So THIS is what the original story was about - inspired on what I witnessed on New Years Day in Costa Rica 2014!

SERIOUSLY peeps - do NOT NOT NOT leave ANY boxes in front of your house - out in the trash from your Christmas gifts or ANY box you get ANY time of the year that might put the BIG RED "ROB ME" sticker across your forehead!!!


#1 - MOST places I know (NOT just in Costa Rica), the trash pick up is OFF a day after Christmas AND often a day after New Years so plan accordingly.  BEFORE the holidays, find out OFFICIALLY what are your holiday pick up days.


#2 - I just walked 5 blocks on New Years DAY - when the streets and MANY houses are EMPTY - and I can't tell you how many people had their new 42" tv and new computer boxes, etc. out in front of their house - for the WHOLE world to see - INCLUDING banditos (who sometimes are those people that regularly go through your trash if you leave it out before the trash man comes)!!!!  And they will NOT be picked up for at LEAST another day!!!




Also,
Do NOT NOT NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR - NOTHING!!!
The Monday before New Years I went to the U.S. embassy with a friend and there were PLENTY of American's in there that had their passport stolen and MANY had it and their belongings stolen within a few MINUTES of locking their CAR!!!  And some of course were drunk!  And SOME of them where residents or frequent visitors that said they KNEW better - but they thought - "it's just for a minute" (or just weren't thinking as they were having tooo much funnnn!!)!



Peeps, how do you think AAA, etc. opens your locked car??  There are gizmos ANYONE can get to jimmy a lock in SECONDS - while just standing in front of your car facing OUT so no one realizes what's happening - LockPickShop.com/AT.html

HINTS FOR WHEN YOU'RE AWAY
And if you're going away and not having someone staying in your home or hiring a House Sitter, BUY A FEW TIMERS for your lights and put them near various windows set at time you'd NORMALLY be in those rooms/up - so it looks like someone IS home!!!  


NOT being CONSCIOUS around this issue - you're potentially advertising/saying/INVITING:
"Hey - come and tie me up - Home Invasion me - or rob my house or my car.
Help yourself!!!   Look at the nice new things you can HAVE!!!"



GeeGee gave a GREAT idea - put your radio or tv on a timer - as well as alternating the lights/tv/radio each night!!!
I used to have a fake Camera in front of my house that looked SOOO real - down to the red blinking light!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U3A428/?tag=vglnk-c880-20



(and if you do and it happens, PLEASE do NOT cry about it or blame the banditos!! [yeah that's a harsh statement but OFTEN WE set ourselves up to attract situations don't we???!!  I sure know I do like when my housekeeper stole THOUSANDS of $$s of jewels from me!!   I didn't have them locked up real well as I couldn't IMAGINE he'd EVER do that to me since I treated/paid him SOOO WELL!])




Ya wonder why crime during these 2 weeks are the HIGHEST of the year . . . .




If I had a car/truck I'd drive around neighborhoods removing these for people!!! (if anyone is in Escazu now and wants to do it, I'll go with you - SERIOUSLY - 8-378-6679)






On the POSITIVE NOTE - if you're moving any time in the future, it's a GREAT time to get some good boxes!!!



The material things and life you save 
COULD be YOUR OWN if you're being more CONSCIOUS!!!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


This is also an IMPORTANT time to SERIOUSLY consider using the services of a House or Pet Sitter!!!

Vicki's (MY)
LOVING YOUR PET HOUSE SITTING!

facebook.com/LovingYourPetHouseSitting  •  LovingYourPetHouseSitting.com

(if I'm not available, I also have some other resources I can share!)


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


.

No comments: