ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Thursday, August 9, 2012

DRIVING in San Jose, Costa Rica - Driving Restriction • Ingreso Restringido Days & Times


Ahhhhh - Driving in Costa Rica!!!  NOT someone I'm fond of doing as you LITERALLY MUST be ON GUARD 101% of the time!!!  I LOVE driving and have incredible CONFIDENCE doing it!!  I've driven in Italia through tiny villages where they drive like maniacs!!  I've driven 110mph (LEGALLY!!!) on the AutoBaun in Germany (that was my FAV driving experience - all that SPEED!!!) - but there's NO WAY IN HELL I plan on owning a car in Costa Rica!! 

With a combination of all the Potholes (I can not get how Nicaragua - poverty stricken as it it, and Panama can have AWESOME roads [I've NEVER seen a pothole in Nicaragua and I go there every 90 days on my Visa Runs!), hardly any street signs to identify where you are let alone addresses (newbies/tourists - I SERIOUSLY kid you not!!) and ALL the MEGA BAD UNconscious drivers and worse - the motorcyclists and some bicyclists - it can be INSANE!!!! 

Hence why I'm a Taxi Queen!!!  I'm ALL about the EASE in life these days



MORNING RESTRICTIONS!!!
Paseo Colon NORMALLY has 2-way traffic - BUT it is 1-way ONLY (East-bound) Monday through Friday from 6:30–8:30am.


RESTRICTIONS ON DAYS YOU CAN DRIVE IN SAN JOSE
Costa Rica implemented a "pico y placa" (“rush hour and license plate”) law in 2005 as a way of reducing traffic congestion.

All* NON-commercial private vehicles are banned from the heart of San Jose Monday through Friday (except for holidays) between 6am and 7pm - BASED on the LAST NUMBER of their license plate.
Monday  -  NO car ending in  -  1 or 2
Tuesday  -  NO car ending in  -  3 or 4

Wednesday  -  NO car ending in  -  5 or 6
Thursday  -  NO car ending in  -  7 or 8
Friday  -  NO car ending in  -  9 or 0

*EXEMPTIONS:
Vehicles owned by persons with disabilities, buses, taxis, and motorcycles.

(I'm working on getting the CURRENT price of this ticket so you can see if it's worth it to you to drive in or not!! [the law has changed a few times already!!!]).


THINK YOU'RE ABOVE THE LAW OR CAN GET OUT OF IT???
Teee heee heee!!!  This is a GOOD $$$/money maker for the government so think twice as you CAN be fined as OFTEN as you're pulled over in any given day.  Tourists are NOT exempt so the "I don't speaks Spanish"/"No habla Espanol" won't work here!!


DRIVING IN COSTA RICA - HINTS
Here's a good site with hints on Driving in Costa Rica!!!:
http://CostaRica.com/travel/driving-in-costa-rica


GOOD LUCK!!!
(and don't come kvetching to me if you choose to do some of the things I warn ya about here and in other parts of my blog!!)



DON'T WANT TO DRIVE?  TAKE A TAXI!
MY FAVORITE form of transportation for getting around in Costa Rica - leave the frustration/nightmare to them so you can ENJOY the ride and check out the area!!
I have a list of LEGAL Red (with a Maria•Meter [ALWAYS look the SECOND you get into a car to make sure the meter is on!!]) English-Speaking Taxi Drivers that are happy to assist you - many are in Escazu (the next city over) but they can usually come get you from an area further.  My top ones give the BEST service I've found!!
LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com/2012/08/EnglishSpeakingTaxisCR.html
(please make sure to tell them Vicki Connected you)

.
.(OLD MAP)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


PLEASE "SHARE" this information with EVERYONE you know that could use this information - ESPECIALLY people considering moving to or visiting Costa Rica!!
http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com/2012/08/DrivingInSanJoseRestrictions.html


No comments: