ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

DERMATOLOGISTS in Costa Rica • DERMATOLOGUES en Costa Rica


I discovered my new WONDERFUL - VERY THOROUGH DERMATOLOGIST -
JOYCE SHEEHY de Alfaro
after an emergency need.  I had some sort of outbreak on my face.  That should have been enough to run to the dermatologist  but NOOOO - I HAD to try to fix it naturally myself - withOUT reading the instructions so I put 
GSE - Grapefruit Seed Extract - 
which is AWESOME - BUT - NOT when you don't dilute it and put it directly on the wound as it then sort of burned it!!

So I went to Joyce and she said it appeared what I had was some sort of ___ Dermatitis but first I have to get the top layer healed from where I put the GSE on it hence all the horrible swelling.  She GAVE me some Lactibon to clean it and Fucinda cream (the rep had JUST been there and left her some samples - GRATITUDE!!).  She also told me to put some REAL Oats oatmeal (not the instant stuff) in a pan of hot water but NOT to bring it to a boil so I could take the water at the top and put it on a cotton ball on my face, then put the cream on it. It worked!!!

NEXT STEP - Time to FINALLY check the body for the potential SKIN CANCER!!
ForEVER I'd been avoiding going to a Dermatologist because I practically grew up at the beach and I even worked in it for 2 summers and grew up in So. Cal. (mainly going to Newport Beach, Newport Dunes and Corona del Mar) and I used to be a Sun Goddess (now the thought of laying at the beach doing nothing bores me as my big blue eyes are SOOOOO sensitive to the light).

Especially because I NEVER EVER in my life have worn Sunscreen (my "3rd Eye" has told me to stay away from Sunscreen - more on that below)!!  Twisted as that is, in the past what I'd do is go out once or twice a year and I'd FRY my bod, suffer for a few days, peal it off to reveal nice soft skin (my own version of a "Dermabrasian" treatment!) and the tan would last for 6+ months!!  But then just before my visit to Joyce, I went to SanJuanDelSurNI.com where I bare-skinned on a sailboat for 7 hours and got 1st degree burns in some areas (the virgin thighs and other areas not used to exposure these days). To say the least, Joyce was CRINGING!!

But MIRACULOUSLY I had NO spots on my bod!!!!  I was PLEASANTLY SHOCKED!!!

Joyce took a LOT of time with me with me - taking my history and checkin' ALL over the bod!!
She told me I NEED to start wearing Sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and her fav was Dermagenics • Skingenics - it's the basic L'Oreal inexpensive brand that she felt was on par with the fancy expensive ones!

Now MY take on Sunscreens (note I am NOT a doctor) has been reconfirmed lately as there are MANY STUDIES coming out that feel that many Sunscreens actually can CREATE SKIN CANCER!!!!  Google it and draw your OWN conclusion based on what is right for YOU!!!!

One of the BIG things they're saying works as a bit of a Sunscreen is . . . COCONUT OIL!!!  (hence when I go out in the sun and want to get a bit of color - I do NOT wear it [Coconut Oil is the "lotion" I use on my body and face these days!!]  I use facebook.com/JudysCoconutOilCR)


So back to Dr Joyce Sheehy - She got her training and her passion and specialty is in SKIN CANCER (I've heard she is one of the BEST doctors in Costa Rica for Skin Cancer) and she worked in a burn unit in the U.S. Joyce has a GREAT team that works out of CIMA specializing in Mosh and Micrographics.

LOCATION:
SAN JOSE (Downtown)

Just a block West of Hospital los Ninos but surgeries are done at CIMA

LANGUAGE:
She speaks VERY GOOD English and of course Spanish (she spent some time living in Chicago).


HOURS:
Monday-Friday - 9am-12pm/noon and 2-6pm

CONTACT:
2-258-4647 • 2-258-4997 • DermaCR@racsa.co.cr
Please make sure to tell her Vicki Skinner with the blog (that came with Diane Sobel-Globerman around 2007 or so) Connected you!

OFFICE VISIT:
A basic visit starts at 40,000-c/$80ish just for a Consultation and 45,000-c/$90 includes some basic lesions burned off.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@





Do YOU know of any other DERMATOLOGISTS • DERMATOLOGUES
in Costa Rica
that are REALLY GOOD to add to this list??

Email me their name, ALL their phone numbers, email address, website, facebook page, hours, location, rates and DETAILS on their speciality - to:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@






.


1 comment:

sally rice said...

Thanks diane, you posted this exactly at the time I needed it. Just moved here from Ojai Ca. but lived in laguna for years...

we are 'rockclimbingcostarica.com, and sallyricefotos.com.

would love to chat with you. ck out our websites and see if you are interested in talking sometime.
my skype is sallyricefotos and rockclimbingcostarica.

thanks for the derm ref. i need it soooo bad, its that skin cancer scare as usual for us so cal gals